Monday 3 June 2013

My new Australian bee hive

June 4, 2013

Two beehives in my beeyard!
We picked up hive #2  from John in Burgessville on June 1 in the morning.  The queen is an Australian-Italian bee.  John has been having a tough time with the pesticides affecting his bees but my hive seems extremely healthy.  The bees are already building comb on the open frames that I provided to John.  The centre frames in the hive are plastic foundation and are completely covered in capped brood.

As soon as we got home, I opened the hive to add another box of frames with some capped honey to keep them fed.  This was timely since it rained and rained over the weekend and was so cold the bees stayed home.   All this hive needs now is a name.

I am very happy to have  2 hives in the beeyard again.  The Australian's workers are very orange whereas Queen Mab's workers are very black...maybe Russian genes.  It will be very interesting to see the difference in the two hives.

Queen Mab's worker--very dark stripes
Australian worker--orange stripes
I walk around the property to see all the lush growth that the rain has brought and I leave you with a few images.  Happy spring!

Backlit Solomon seal

Healthy hostas with allium

Weigela in the ferns

No comments:

Post a Comment