Wednesday 12 June 2013

Introducing Queen Olivia!

June 12, 2913

I have a name for my Australian Queen!  She has been christened Queen Olivia.  Just in case you think she is named after our dog, Olive you would be wrong.   I opened her up for the first time this afternoon and actually managed to find the queen.  Here she is with her retinue.


Queen Olivia...can't miss her right in the middle!

It was very exciting to find her but it was very easy since there are not that many bees in this hive yet.  In this next picture you will see that I have become braver in the bee yard as I have no gloves on!



Look!  Bare hands!


I opened up Queen Mab as well and found that the bees had been building a lot, but all in the second box,  I decided to switch the boxes to get them to fill in the other one.   Perhaps the top opening I have has made them like being upstairs better than downstairs.

New comb being built

Drone brood and capped honey
My next posting will be about the wonderful Queen Rearing Workshop I attended on the weekend but it will be fairly dense and educational, so I thought I'd just give you a few pictures of the two hives to let you know things are going well in the bee yard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment